As an Accountant at IISC, you will use your skillset to support our financial operations. Under the direction of the Business Manager you will oversee IISC’s finance and accounting procedures including AP/AR, payroll, ensuring compliance and supporting month-end close. You will collaborate with staff across the organization on areas like billing, contracts, and grants management. The ideal candidate for this role has experience working in accounting in a nonprofit context, is an excellent communicator with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and thrives in a highly collaborative work environment.
Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee all accounting activities of the organization and ensures compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Lead Accounts Receivable process efficiently and ensure the reconciliation of data between Salesforce and the accounting system.
- Lead Accounts Payable, ensuring vendors are paid accurately in accordance with their terms and related expenses are properly recorded.
- Support payroll processes, ensuring the integrity of all time and attendance reports.
- Support reporting of grants and contracts, including compliance with funder requirements.
- Reconcile all bank and investment accounts on a monthly basis. Post interest, dividends, gains and unrealized gains and losses. Maintain cash flow forecast.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes.
- Support the annual audit, including preparation of year-end closing, prepare balance sheet accounts analysis; prepare and post year-end journal entries.
- Maintain compliance calendar to be sure required filings are on time and accurate.
- Ability to understand and follow internal controls that protect the organization against fraud and provide assurances that the accounting records are accurate and complete.
- Provide guidance to non-finance staff on accounting policies and procedures.
Planning & Analysis
- Partner with the Business Manager and Director of Operations to support annual budget formation process.
- Prepare financial statements and support the development of management reports.
- Commitment to IISC’s mission and values.
- 3+ years’ experience in accounting and finance, preferably in a non-profit.
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) and audit practices and principles.
- Experience in accounting systems and fund accounting.
- Significant Experience with QuickBooks and/or similar accounting software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office system, with advanced Excel skills required.
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Professional and highly ethical.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative and successfully prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Superior organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail.
- A constant learner who is interested in being a proactive, positive member of the team.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to handle communication tactfully and effectively.
Reports to: Business Manager
Salary Range: $46,350 – $60,000 based on experience.
Benefits: Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. IISC is proud to offer a very generous benefits package including:
- 100% paid medical, and dental coverage for individual employees and dependents.
- Generous paid time off,
- Annual professional development stipend,
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible work environment with possible remote opportunities.
Applications will be accepted until the position is full. Start date will be as soon as possible after hiring.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the name of the position to which you are applying in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted.