Advancing Racial Justice: An Online Learning Series for 2021
An on-line learning series for operationalizing racial justice in day-to-day organizational life
Who is this series designed for?
Advancing Racial Justice in Organizations (ARJ) is a capacity-building offering designed for multiracial teams of three to four people who want to develop plans for advancing and operationalizing racial justice and racial equity within their organizations or networks. The ideal team will include members of a new or ongoing Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team. Your team will be part of a cohort, learning alongside other teams about resources to design an organizational change process that includes different kinds of learning and planning activities to further racial equity in your work and internally in your organization or network.
What does the series include?
- A strategic and supportive opportunity to learn alongside your own colleagues as well as those from four or five other organizations or networks, with the guidance of IISC’s team of experienced racial equity trainers
- In-depth assignments to explore your organization’s readiness, assets, and challenges, as well as your personal strengths and growing edges
- Twenty-two hours of workshop time, spread over six online learning sessions (four sessions will be three hours long; two will be five hours long)
- Detailed homework assignments using tools to assist your team in collaboratively designing and implementing your racial equity change process and action plan. These assignments are designed to be completed with your ARJ team, as well as with your wider equity team and other organizational leaders and stakeholders.
- Opportunities for relationship building and coaching from your organizational team members and other members of the cohort
What are the learning outcomes and deliverables for participating teams?
By the end of this learning experience, you will be able to:
- Use language and analysis of institutional and structural racism that are commonly used in the field
- Clarify and build buy-in for the importance of addressing racism in your organization and in your program/issue areas
- Recognize key indicators of how racism expresses itself in organizational culture and identify ways to interrupt those dynamics
- Integrate equity primes, prompts, and tools into your ongoing work
- Design collaborative processes that support ongoing learning, planning, and action for racial equity
- Integrate learning, evaluation, and assessment throughout your processes
- Consult racial equity resources to identify tools, protocols, and more for use in your organization
- Build relationships and offer and receive peer coaching from other cohort members
What will you learn and what will you produce during this series?
You will create the following draft products using a shared online workbook that your Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team will be able to keep and refine throughout the series and beyond.
|During ARJ, you will learn how to:||And your team will produce:|
|Use language and analysis of institutional and structural racism that are commonly used in the field||→||Shared analysis of key concepts|
|Articulate a strong case for the importance of addressing racism in your organization and in your program/issue areas||→||Case for change|
|Recognize key indicators of how white supremacy norms express themselves itself in organizational culture and identify ways to interrupt those dynamics||→||Tools for identifying and interrupting white supremacy culture in organizational life|
|Assess your organization’s “Big Picture” (context, stakeholders, current reality and goals of the process) to guide your organizational change efforts||→||Assessment of the “Big Picture” and initial priorities for your racial equity change process|
|Identify important elements to set your Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team up for success||→||Elements of a Team Charter|
|Design collaborative processes that support ongoing learning, planning, and action for racial equity||→||An initial Pathway to Action outlining activities in your racial equity change process (e.g., learning, planning, dialogue, etc.)|
|Recognize the importance of integrating learning, evaluation, and assessment throughout your process||→||Tools for learning, evaluation, and assessment|
|Integrate equity primes, prompts, and tools into your ongoing work||→||Sample equity primes and tools to weave through your process|
What kind of time commitment will you be making?
- Workshop Sessions: Each participant will commit to participating in all six sessions with 22 hours of workshop time.
- Individual work (initial survey, readings, and journaling questions): 30-60 minutes before each session
- Team work (completing worksheets together): 90-120 minutes before each session
- Gathering feedback and input from the rest of your Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team and/or other organizational stakeholders: Six+ hours, spread out across the series
- Peer coaching: two meetings of 90-120 minutes each, outside of the workshop sessions to meet as a team with one other organizational team from the cohort
- IISC team coaching session: one meeting of 60 minutes with one of the workshop leaders, to be scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
Altogether, each participant should plan for approximately 50-55 hours of time over the three-month ARJ series. To support effective input gathering, we recommend that as soon as you commit to this process, you schedule meetings with your full Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team to occur in the weeks after sessions 2, 4, and 5.
Workshop Schedule (all times listed are Eastern Time) – This is a sample schedule for the ARJ Series
Please note that all members of your team must sign up for the same cohort.
Cost and Schedule
The price for this series is $7,350 per team (pricing may vary for foundations and for-profit organizations). The application process for the next two cohorts launching in March 2021 is now closed. We anticipate launching the series once or twice each quarter in 2021. Stay tuned for future workshop dates. To be notified as soon as the new dates are set and applications are being accepted, please opt into our email list here. We also offer an “in-house” version of Advancing Racial Justice in Organizations if you’d like your entire Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team and other key stakeholders (up to 22 participants) to experience this together, rather than just a team of 3-4 individuals. Learn more about this option here. Thank you!