Advancing Racial Justice in Organizations: An Online Learning Series
An online learning series for operationalizing racial justice in day-to-day organizational life
This series is designed to build individual skills and the capacity of your team to advance racial equity and racial justice in and through your organization or network. In addition to learning practical frameworks, skills, and tools, you and your team will develop tangible products to move your organization forward.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS SERIES?
To build your capacity to:
- Use language and analysis of institutional and structural racism that are commonly used in the field
- Clarify and build buy-in for the importance of addressing racism in your organization and in your program/issue areas
- Recognize key indicators of how racism expresses itself in organizational culture and identify ways to interrupt those dynamics
- Integrate equity primes, prompts, and tools into your ongoing work
- Design collaborative processes that support ongoing learning, planning, and action for racial equity
- Consult racial equity resources to identify tools, protocols, and more for use in your organization
- Build relationships and offer and receive peer coaching from other cohort members
WHO IS THIS SERIES DESIGNED FOR?
Advancing Racial Justice in Organizations (ARJ) is a capacity-building offering designed for multiracial teams who want to learn how to develop plans for advancing and operationalizing racial justice and racial equity within their organizations or networks. The ideal team will include three to four members of a new or existing Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team that has responsibility for advancing organizational change. Your team will be part of a cohort, learning alongside other teams about resources to design a collaborative organizational change process that includes different kinds of learning and planning activities to further racial equity in your work and internally in your organization or network.
WHAT DOES THIS SERIES INCLUDE?
- A strategic and supportive opportunity to learn alongside your own colleagues as well as those from four or five other organizations or networks, with the guidance of IISC’s team of experienced racial equity trainers
- In-depth assignments to explore your organization’s readiness, assets, and challenges, as well as your personal strengths and growing edges
- Twenty-two hours of workshop time, spread over six online learning sessions (four sessions will be three hours long; two will be five hours long)
- Detailed homework assignments using tools to assist your team in collaboratively designing your racial equity change process. These assignments are designed to be completed with your ARJ team, as well as with your wider equity team and other organizational leaders and stakeholders.
- Opportunities for relationship building and coaching from your organizational team members and other members of the cohort
WHAT KIND OF COMMITMENT WILL YOU BE MAKING?
- Workshop Sessions: Each participant will commit to participating in all six sessions (22 hours of workshop time)
- Individual work (initial survey, readings, and journaling questions): 30-60 minutes before each session
- Team Homework (completing worksheets together): 90-120 minutes before each session
- Team-to-Team Peer coaching: one meeting of 90-120 minutes each, outside of the workshop sessions to meet as a team with one other organizational team from the cohort
- IISC team coaching session: one meeting of 60 minutes with one of the workshop leaders, to be scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
- Gathering feedback and input from the rest of your Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team and/or other organizational stakeholders
- A follow up Community of Practice session: 90-120 minutes approximately six months after completion of the series
Organizations will participate in six sessions over the course of three months. Your team will meet before each session to complete the assignments for each session. We strongly recommend that as you reserve time on your calendars for the sessions, you also schedule 1-2 team meetings in between the sessions to complete your assignments.
This learning experience is priced as follows:
$7,350/per team Nonprofit | $9,200/per team Foundation | $11,025/per team For Profit/Social Venture.
HOW TO APPLY
The application period closes on December 14th, 2021 at 5PM EST. Please submit an application via our online form here. Note that this screening form is designed to be completed collaboratively, as a group. You may want to include your entire Race, Equity, and Inclusion Team, as well as key leaders in the process of completing the application. If you would like to review all of the questions before beginning, you can view a printable version of the application here.