The Interaction Institute for Social Change (IISC) brings nearly 30 years of experience to our mission: to build collaborative capacity in individuals, organizations, and networks working for social justice and racial equity.
When IISC started in 1993, we brought the power of collaboration to the social sector through our work with thousands of individuals, and hundreds of organizations and networks working to advance social justice. Over time we focused explicitly on the profound and persistent racial inequities that destroy people, communities, and the planet and that account for many of the challenges our clients face. Guided by our values and Collaborative Change Lens, we deepened our approach to supporting individuals, organizations, and networks to shift systems so that groups and communities that have been historically marginalized and oppressed by racism and other ism’s have an equitable share in the power and control of organizational and societal resources in order to ensure they are able to thrive and contribute to their communities and organizations.
We envision a healthy planet where people are thriving, valuing their differences, and working together for peace and justice.
IISC builds collaborative capacity in individuals, organizations, and networks working for social justice and racial equity.
These values will guide IISC in our work internally and externally:
- We believe that social change is possible when three key elements are attended to: shared power and equity, network building, and love as a force for social change
- We believe that transformative leadership is the kind of leadership we need in the 21st century
- We believe in people’s right to be involved in the decisions that affect them so that they have influence over the quality of their lives
- We believe in the dignity of all human beings and in taking care of our planet so that we can all live healthy lives and our communities and our planet can thrive
Our Collaborative Change Lens
IISC facilitates social change and racial equity using our Collaborative Change Lens to shift power dynamics, focus on building networks, and amplify love as a force for social change. Using this collaborative change lens, leaders can overcome challenges and have greater impact. We believe that collaborative transformation comes from focusing on power shifts in ways that make unjust situations fundamentally better and challenging the underlying drivers of inequity.
- Power: Equitable and Inclusive Solutions
- Networks: Connectivity and Alignment for Evolution
- Love: Belief in Ourselves and Others
IISC was founded in 1993 by Interaction Associates as an expression of its commitment to social transformation and as a way of bringing its collaborative methodologies into the social sector. Since then, IISC has grown from a staff of two to an organization with a much larger team of full-time and part-time staff members from around the country who have worked with thousands of individuals, organizations, coalitions, and networks to boost and amplify their impact. Learn more.
Read about the amazing individuals who make up the IISC team!