Fundamentals of Facilitation for Racial Justice Work
Design and facilitate the challenging conversations that catalyze breakthrough thinking and lasting agreements
Are you looking for new ways to help people who are different from one another talk about racism and then figure out what to do together? Have you ever been leading a group and been stopped in your tracks by someone’s comment or question?
In our work as leaders, knowing about structural racism and understanding the difference between “inclusion” and “equity” are one thing; being effective at helping other people talk about them is another. The workshop will deepen your skills to do just that.
- To develop practical skills and tools for guiding others through productive conversations about race, racism, and racial justice that build understanding and agreement
- To provide a forum for you to address your challenges and aspirations as a facilitator and in your racial justice work
- To experience well-facilitated conversations about racism and racial justice from which you can learn
- To build a community of practice of racial justice facilitators
This two-day workshop focuses on what we believe to be five essential practices of racial justice leadership:
- Understand Racial Identity Development
- Understand the System of Racialization
- See Systems & Weave Networks
- Facilitate Understanding and Agreement
- Discover Shared Meaning
Workshop participants should enter this workshop already having some level of familiarity with racial justice concepts.
This workshop provides an understanding of the role facilitation plays in racial justice work and explores the “who,” “what,” and “how” of facilitation. By the end of this workshop:
- You will be able to identify a learning edge in your racial justice work and a tool, concept, or practice to address it.
- You will explore the impact of how we “show up” as facilitators on the effectiveness of discussions and meetings about race.
- You will become familiar with ways to maintain your center and use your identities to advance the work.
- You will be able to facilitate with increased presence, grace and authority.
- You will develop a clearer understanding of racial justice concepts (such as institutional and structural racism, racial justice framing,) and knowledge of how to use these in design and facilitation.
- You will be able to make strategic choices about when to use different process facilitation tools, when to use racial justice concepts and when to engage additional resources and people to address challenging situations.
- You will become familiar with common racialized dynamics that show up in conversations about race, racism, and racial justice, and ways to facilitate effectively.
- You will become familiar with the role of facilitator in racial justice work and how this role can be leveraged to move the work forward.
- You will become familiar with collaborative process skills for designing and facilitating understanding and agreements that advance racial justice work in your organization or network.
- You will be able to design and facilitate conversations and meetings about race and racial justice work that build understanding and agreement.
- You will learn how to intervene to deal with hot button issues and challenging situations in meetings about race, racism, and racial justice work.
- You will learn specific tools for designing and facilitating various types of conversations and processes to move racial justice work forward.
- You will be able to use adult learning principles to help design effective conversations and meetings about race, racism, and racial justice.
This workshop is focused primarily on discussions that lead to action, not open-ended dialogues or racial healing work. In addition, while the larger organizational change or movement building strategies within which conversations about racial justice might be situated are important, we do not have space in this workshop to dive deeply into those strategies.
$750 Nonprofit | $1,100 Foundation
If you have questions about our workshops and/or the workshop registration process, please review these FAQs. If after doing so your question remains unanswered, we’d be happy to hear from you. Please send us a detailed message.